Tuesday, August 11, 2009

The Birth Story

This is a REALLY REALLY LONG story. I am not good a journaling and want this documented so it's pretty long. Read at your own risk :)

On Monday, July 27th, I went in for a regular doctor's appointment. I was 31 weeks and 1 day along. The night before I had packed a bag in case I had to stay for monitoring of the babies. I didn't feel much different, still huge with fluid but my blood pressure was still normal, etc. Normally I saw my doctor on Wednesdays but the previous week he had told me he wanted to see me on Monday to do a doppler on baby C (Molly). She was measuring smaller than the other 2 and he wanted to make sure the blood flow and things looked okay. Luckily everything looked great, she's just a small one. After the doppler, I went in to my clinic with my doctor. In the past 5 days I had gained 7 pounds of fluid and the protein in my urine (sorry TMI?) went from 1+ to 4+. Both of these are signs of pre-eclampsia. At that point my doctor just walked me over to Labor and Delivery and said we needed blood work done and monitoring. After a few hours I was officially admitted to the hospital. Luckily I had my mom with me the whole time. I think I would have been more nervous or scared if she hadn't been with me. She is so sweet to stick with me. I was starving though. I hadn't eaten since 8:00 am and they kept telling me I couldn't have anything to eat "just in case". The rest of the afternoon was pretty uneventful. They started me on IV fluids and magnesium sulfate for the pre-eclampsia. I didn't have much of a reaction to the magnesium sulfate, which I was grateful for because most people do. I did have a headache so they decided to give me some compazine. Bad idea. Little did I know I am allergic to the stuff. I started undressing myself, sweating and freaking out. It felt like every nerve in my body was on fire and I could feel everything. I even made them take the catheter out because I couldn't handle it. Brack thought it was pretty funny watching me freak out. Luckily it didn't take too long for that to wear off. After that things were pretty calm. My doctor ended up coming in that evening and telling me that he wanted to give me another round of steroids for the babies lungs (I had one set at 28 weeks). So that meant a shot that night, another on Tuesday, and then he wanted to deliver me on Wednesday. Pretty crazy that we had a date set but we knew the pre-eclampsia was going to get worse. Brack stayed until late and then decided to go home and go into work Tuesday so we were ready for Wednesday.

That night was rough. Before Bracken left, I started shaking really really bad. I called in my nurse because I didn't know what it was (pre-eclampsia can cause seizures) and soon we had 4 doctors and 5 nurses in my room surrounding me with foam and prepping me in case I had a seizure. After a few minutes of monitoring they decided I wasn't going to have a full seizure but left everything set up in case. It was quite scary for me because I honestly could not control the shaking. After Brack went home I had a few more shaking episodes. I had the sweetest nurse ever though. She would come in and talk to me and distract me trying to get it to stop. I tried to get some sleep but sleeping with 4 monitors on your belly and moving babies who kick off the monitors was quite hard. Sometime in the middle of the night a doctor came in and said that I needed to go use the restroom. Moments later he came back and said I had to have the catheter put back in. Second time wasn't as bad :) Early in the morning my nurse came back in and we chatted for awhile longer. She even rubbed my back because it was hurting so bad. Seriously, they were awesome there.

Finally my mom got there early Tuesday morning. I was very ready to see her. I was getting so uncomfortable because they continued to pump more and more fluid into me. I wondered how I was going to last another day. After the early morning shift change of nurses, my new nurse came in and gave me a hint that it sounded like I might be delivering that day! I called Bracken at work and gave him a heads up. He was so torn as to whether or not to just head in or wait. I told him to wait until I talked to the doctor. Minutes later 2 doctors came in. They informed me that my pre-eclampsia had gotten much worse over night and that my kidneys were shutting down. All of the fluid that they were pumping into me was staying in my tissues instead of going through my kidneys and coming out. I was a balloon! The doctor said at that point he didn't feel safe waiting for the 2nd steroid shot and we needed to deliver in 30 minutes! WOW! I was overwhelmed with excitement, some fear, joy that I was done, etc. I hurried and called Brack and luckily he had already left for the hospital. At 11:00 they wheeled me off to have my babies. In the operating room I was shaking very very badly again. The anesthesiologist did a spinal block (very similar to an epidural). He was very concerned about me and kept saying how we needed to deliver. He couldn't believe the amount of fluid I had in my body and the shaking that was going on. I think because of the fluid it was a little harder to do the spinal block because I have a HUGE bruise from it. Oh well, I didn't feel ANYTHING so I can't complain. Soon I was prepped and Bracken was brought back. I couldn't wait to see him!!! Next door they were delivering twins and wanted to wait until both babies were out to get me started (because we bombarded the NICU with new babies). The doctors then decided it could not wait and got started. I was told I would feel pressure but I didn't feel anything! One by one my babies were born. At 11:40 Hunter joined our family. Next, at 11:41 Madison joined us. After a little tugging, at 11:42 Molly arrived. None of them made any sound when they were born. I was just told one by one that baby A, baby B, and baby C were born. I was very drugged at this point so I didn't worry too much about them not making a sound. I also knew it was a possibilty for how early they were. Not much later I was sewed up and taken back to my room with Bracken.

After a c-section, because of all of the medications you have pumped into you some people shake a lot. That was me. It was pretty bad and scared my in-laws but there really is nothing you can do about it. I felt like I was on cloud 9! It felt so good to have the babies out, to breathe, etc. I was on serious adrenaline. I was still so hungry because I hadn't eaten since Monday morning. So I begged for food! After a c-section you can only have ice chips, then water, then broth. Man was the broth good!! It was hard though because I just kept waiting for someone to come and get Bracken to go see the babies. I was dying to know how they were doing. Soon a nurse came in to give us information. At birth all 3 were put on CPAP's to help breathe. Within about 30 minutes our little Molly scratched and scratched at hers until it was off and started breathing room air. Their Apgar scores at 1 minute after birth were 6,7, and 6. At 5 minutes all of them were 9's. What strong babies! The rest of the day is quite a blur. I know that soon Brack was able to go back and see our sweet babies and brought back pictures. He then took his parents, my parents, and my two sisters back to see them. I couldn't believe how beautiful they were! I was dying to see them. It wasn't until that evening that they finally wheeled me back in my bed to see them. I was so overwhelmed by them. By the time I went back to see them, Hunter was already off the CPAP. As we were leaving the NICU we were informed that Madison was also coming off the CPAP. That means that within hours of birth all 3 were breathing room air! What a blessing. I was on more magnesium sulfate and finally was very tired. I hardly remember the rest of the day. Sorry to any visitors or anyone who tried to contact me that day because I was quite out of it. That night, Brack stayed with me.

In the middle of the night I was moved to a recovery room. I wasn't put on in the postpartum unit because I had babies in the NICU. That night was pretty rough for Brack and I. Because of my pre-eclampsia I was woken up every 4 hours or less. It was pretty rough. Wednesday morning I woke up and was starting the recovery process. The pain was definetely there! So once again, things seem to be a blur but I will do the best I can, I'll just blame it on the pain meds. That day I had a visit from my Mom's old OB. Long story short, he's a family friend who does research on our family because, well we aren't normal :). He ended up looking at me and realized I had an ileus. An ileus is an obstruction of the intestine. Basically my intestines were paralyzed and were not working at all. Great. My stomach was distended, bloated and huge. The worst part about it is the only way to treat it is to withhold food. I was only able to eat ice chips and water. Needless to say, I felt like crap! A few different doctors kept coming in to check on me and sure enough it was an ileus. Bracken was going back and forth from seeing the babies and coming in to see me. In the afternoon he ended up heading home and letting me rest. That day I know my mom came in but I can't remember much else. I just remember that everyone but me was able to see my babies again. I was too sick to get up though. I did start walking that day, it is important for the healing process but it was hard.

The rest of my recovery just seemed to get worse. I was not able to eat food Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday. On Friday I was then diagnosed to have an infection in my colon called C. Diff. This was on top of the ileus. Basically my stomach and GI tract were just not working. It was horrible. To top it off, I wasn't being able to see my babies. I did realize though that I had the best husband in the world. I have always known this but watching him care for me and our babies at the same time was huge. He is such a good daddy. He would bring me pictures and things that the babies were using so I wasn't left out. Once I was on antibiotics I was finally able to see the babies on Saturday. I also was able to have my first food too! I enjoyed the best bowl of Rice Krispies I have ever had!!

Saturday was the best day because I not only got to see the babies but was able to hold them. Bracken had held all of them but I hadn't. It was the best feeling in the world to hold these special spirits. I instantly knew that they were mine, that they were meant to be with me, that they were supposed to come together as the 3 of them, and that I was the luckiest Mom in the world! Oh they are so sweet. I was feeling much better that day and even better on Sunday but they were not ready to let me go. We continued to have visitors, mainly family, that week and appreciate everyone who came and saw me and the babies. I'm sorry I was so sick and out of it. I truly enjoyed talking to nurses about my babies though because they were so proud of me making it to 31+ weeks and carrying those babies that long. Also, everyone was just so surprised at how well the babies were doing and that always gave me a pick me up like I needed. The next few days I was finally feeling better and by Monday they told me I could be released! I was so ready to be going home. To leave my babies was the HARDEST thing I have ever had to do but I needed my rest and was ready to start a real recovery. Throughout my stay I was put on and off fluid IV's and instead of my fluid going down it seemed to continue to increase. I was ready to come home to get that fluid to start falling off. Although things didn't go as planned and I was so sick before, during, and after delivery I couldn't be happier. I still have a lot of healing to do. My c-section has been healing great and I'm starting to have my strength back. My body is still recovering from the pre-eclampsia, I still have high blood pressure and other issues that just take time to clear out. I'm almost off my antibiotics and am happy to say I can eat normal again :)

What a blessing it was to be able to carry and grow these 3 beautiful babies. It definetely was not an easy thing to do, none of it was, but I would do it all over again to have these blessings in my life. They are so strong and I know we can contribute that to many people's prayers and thoughts. Thank you so much for that. We couldn't ask for a better turn out in how things have been. We are so lucky to have these 3 babies here safely and to have them in our family! We are so blessed! I love them so much and cannot wait for them to come home.

15 comments:

Julie said...

SO amazing!!! You will be glad you wrote it all down, I wish I had!
Congratulations again and I hope all of you are doing well!!!

ClaysJenna said...

You are truly amazing!! Such a great story and it was really great to read! Your little ones are beautiful and I'm so happy they are doing so well.
Please let me know if I can do anything!!

Anonymous said...

Wow!!! That was amazing to read! You are so strong and you are very right when you say those babies are meant to be with you and Bracken. Congrats girl and I hope you are feeling better!

Lease said...

I spent 5 long weeks in 2 East at the U on bed rest, the nurses really made the stay easier. It's great that you are recovering and that your little ones are doing so well.

Diana said...

Having gone through it all with you, I can attest that you are one of the strongest people I know. Your babies are so blessed to have come to your home - you have already sacrificed so much for them, and love them so much. You will be a terrific Mom!! And Bracken's going to be a GREAT Dad! Love you bunches - Mom

Rick and Angie said...

Wow - what a journey!!! I can't believe u guys went through all of that!!! I am so happy things are going well and u r recovering well!!! We can't wait to meet the little darlings!!! Congrats!

Hilary said...

WOW! What an amazing story. I am so glad that you and your babies are in good health now. Good luck with everything. The NICU might seem like it lasts forever, but honestly once your kids are home, time will fly! You are such a strong mom! Your little ones are lucky to have you!!

Anonymous said...

Good job on journaling your experience. I don't remember much of mine and don't remember a lot of it as a result. My names Stephanie. I learned about you at our little triplet mom dinner at the Cheesecake Factory. Missed you but I'm sure will get to know you over the years! Good job mama!

anne said...

Amazing. That totally sucks you weren't allowed to see them very much. I'm so glad you're doing better. :) And I totally know about that shaking thing. I think it has a lot to do with nerves too, because I got it when I was going to deliver Aliyah, and then I was fine with Xander. Darn shakes.

Hey, my mom was supposed to drop off your present. Did it make it to your house?

Boonie and Jenn said...

You are an amazing mom! I can't believe all you went through and are still so strong. Congrats again on the little ones. They are absolutely adorable. I am so very happy for you both! Continue to get feeling better.

Kristy and Dave said...

Wow, that is quite a story. I'm so glad to hear that you and your babies are doing well.

Unknown said...

Julianne, Your a Mom!!! It seems like just yesterday that you and Chase were coming home from Kindergarten and creating all kinds of mischief. I found out you had the babies just before our family left for Mexico for 8 days. Chase & Rachael are so happy for you too. Chad leaves for college next week and then I should have some free time. When they come home please let me come and help. Can you believe your family is as big as mine all in one sweep? I know you have been through so much but I also know that your a fighter. Congratulations, love you.
Laura

Carly said...

Congratulations. They are so beautiful! And it was rough having one.. you are amazing! They are so so cute! You will have so much fun!

Mat and Brooke said...

I'm so glad you documented that and also that we were all able to read about it! It just makes me even more proud of you than ever before to be able to hear your experiences in the days leading up to, during, and now after your three absolutely beautiful babies were born. You are so strong. I am amazed at what you're able to shoulder. You and Bracken will be such wonderful parents! Hunter, Madison, and Molly simply couldn't have come to a more wonderful family. We're so happy for you :) Love you guys.

Cortney said...

I loved reading that. Thanks for posting it. I'm so glad you and all 3 of your babies are doing great. Keep us updated:)